Ah! You finally decided to tackle this project in your yard that has been on your mind for few years. You have some ideas of what you want: an outdoor living space like the ones you’ve seen in magazine and advertised in your local media: Patio, maybe in outdoor kitchen, a place for you to relax and to entertain family and friends.
If you are a person that like to Do It Yourself, be sure to research installation information, tips and tricks and the proper ways to tackle your project. Most of us however would consider a hardscape project outside our league and seek the help of professional contractor. Should you choose to hire a contractor for your outdoor living project, here are some tips on what to look for and how to choose the right contractor for your project:
Before meeting with any contractor do your research. I cannot stress enough the importance of being an educated customer:
- Online research will help you determine the product you like to narrow down the list of contractors that install the product of your choice.
- Gather as many photos as you can to better communicate what you like to see in your project
- Make a list of what you want, a list of what you believe is needed and list of the things you desire but can do without. This will help eliminate “scope creep” and keep your budget in check at all times.
- Be prepared to accept limitations of the job site (link to job site considerations) when choosing styles, different elements and specific features. Some things are feasible and others may not be.
- Keep an open mind: Usually experienced contractors have many ideas and will make suggestions to you that maybe better suited to the site than what you had originally envisioned.
- Decide your budget. Always leave a little bit of a cushion for the unexpected. Things can come up during any construction project; however, a good contractor will survey your site and should be able to reduce the chances of surprises to minimum or nothing.