July 2, 2020

Do I need a permit?

It is always a good idea to contact your local city or county building department for their requirements.  These can typically be found on the city’s website or by giving them a call.  Typically, we have found that any wall over 4 ft (1.2 m) in height will require a permit per the International Building Code (IBC).  Some may also have requirements on length or the location to a property line.

When a permit is required, generally you may need to provide a set of drawings showing the retaining wall location and size.  Depending on the scope of the project, stamped engineering drawings may also be needed.  Allan Block has a pre-engineered manual that can be provided to the city with information and specifications for the product for walls up to 6 ft (1.8 m) in height.  If your city does not already have a copy on file, or if your wall is over 6 ft (1.8 m), contact your local AB Distributor or AB Sales rep for this information.

Checking with your city is always recommended when starting any retaining wall project. To assist in this, visit our website to create a custom residential submittal package.

No comments:

Post a Comment